Saturday, September 01, 2012

A New Kitchen: Demolition & Granite Install

It's funny how quickly your house can be torn apart! All of this happened in about a morning's time!
 The hardest part of your kitchen being torn out? No sink for 3 days! I kept going in there thinking I was going to rinse out a cup or something!
The afternoon of Day 2, our granite was installed. The best way to feel like you're living the high life? Install granite!
 Squared off edges with rounded corners.
 Now, do not get the impression that we are now high rollers in Plano! Our new kitchen has very little actual counter top space (less than 25 square feet). So we went to the granite remnant store to get our pieces. They are basically left over pieces of a big slab that they used on other projects. It is a very cost effective way to get stone in your kitchen (or bathroom for that matter).
I am kind of cheating by having this photo here, because it is not in chronological order. But since I'm on the subject of saving money, I'll add this in. We bought this farmhouse sink at Ikea for $300 (the cheapest I have found for it's size & quality). The usual go-to now days is an under-mounted sinks. And in all honest, I am not certain the exact cost of a good stainless steel under-mount sink, but I would imagine it is up to $250. By not picking an under-mount, I not only saved the money of the 2-3 foot piece of granite I would have had to buy for them to cute the whole out of in the middle (apparently $200 from our store), I also saved the $250 fee they charge to cut the hole for the sink. Yay farmhouse sinks!
Next up, tile! 
For the first post about our kitchen, click here.

No comments: