Wednesday, December 29, 2010

New Tricks and Sweet Stories

I mentioned Bobby has done a lot of new things lately and I just need to document them here so I don't forget!

Not knowing when children tend to become 'attached' to things, I wasn't sure if Bobby would have any sort of lovey because he didn't seem to like blankets or stuffed animals. But at some point right before his birthday, he fell in love with sweatshirts. Tim had one laying around the living room one day and Bobby walked right over to it and laid his head down on it with a huge smile on his face. From that point on, he wanted the sweatshirt for snuggling. He even slept with it last night. Unfortunately, it isn't the easiest thing to lug around (especially for him), so I think his Honey is going to make him a small sweatshirt blankie (wink wink).

His vocabulary is growing and includes: juice, book, please and all done.

He has learned signs for please, more, milk, eat and all done. We need one for cracker because I am pretty sure he wants animal crackers all day every day.

He yearns for the outside. At times throughout the day, he will run to the door yelling "Oh!" and start hitting the door. And once we go outside, he wants to stay outside. When I take him back to go indoors, as I cross the threshold, he will lean back and start throwing a fit. He is definitely his father's son.

I know this is one of his favorite things to do outside...
Starting Christmas day he got a fever and every night for several nights after that. So by the fifth day, I took him to the doctor. This was the first time he actually got sick, so we were a little flustered. Thanks to some ibuprofen, he was feeling much better while we waited in the waiting room for an hour (they missed his name in the sign-in sheet and didn't even log him in until I said something about it after seeing 4 families go in before us. It was one of those times that I have to take a breath and realize that I was never perfect at my job, so I can't expect everyone else to be perfect at theirs). Anyway, while we were waiting, he saw a very cute 4 or 5 year old girl and he started showing off for her! Walking all around the waiting room clapping and yelling at her. He was so precious. Unfortunately, it got awkward when he tried several times to give her hugs. I had to stop him so he wouldn't get any germs on her. It felt very backward to tell him "NO" when he's about to give someone a hug. I didn't want to stop him from showing sweetness to another child, but they were both sick.

Almost every night, I will share with Tim something really precious he did that day and we both sit there and smile, looking like 12-year-olds daydreaming about their crush. It makes me laugh to think how far we've come from a year ago when we were staring up at the ceiling of our bedroom wondering what sin we committed to deserve the screaming banshee in the other room for a child! My how things change.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

I also forgot to mention that you can ask him where your nose is, and he will grab your nose with all his might. So then we had to teach him 'gentle'!