I've already written about Bobby's favorite shows when he was younger, but it's been over a year and his tastes have completely changed. So I figured it would be fun to revisit what Bobby's watching!
First, I must mention that if he could watch Toy Story or The Lion King (aka Roar) all day, every day, he would. But today, we are going to talk about those 20 minute shows we all wish lasted 45 minutes!
Jake and the Never Land Pirates: Shoot me now. Because of our cable situation, it is the only show we can watch in the back while he is waking up and I am getting ready. I really truly dislike this show. Is it the way they say, "Yay hey, no way" and "Yo ho, let's go"? Or the way Cubby uses the word 'coconuts' as an expletive? By the way, Disney writers, I am on to you. You had to name the chubby one Cubby? Disney's subtle stereotypes and racism is very much alive. If you've seen the trailer for Spooky Buddies, you know exactly what I mean. But back to the show, it really doesn't have much redeeming value. Honestly, I don't even think Bobby likes it that much. They do some counting and color/shape recognition, but nothing new that you couldn't get from the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, which brings me to show #2...
The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: It is everything you would want in a show for pre-schoolers: numbers, colors, simple math, shapes, etc. And Bobby loves it, too! I am even impressed with the Christian hearts of the clubhouse-mates. They continue to be friends with Pete even though he does mean things to them almost every episode. But, he continues to apologize and they continue to forgive him and call him friend. This is something I struggle with as an adult. If someone continues to treat you unkindly, but continues to ask forgiveness, I know you should forgive them but how long should you be their 'friend'? I am sure Bobby will deal with this matter as he grows up, and I still don't quite know how one should handle that situation. Just a little spirituality brought to you by MMC. Oh, but don't worry. I know the show has made The Soup at least once thanks to a very subtle sexual reference.
Dino Dan: We rarely watch this show, but as it comes on at 4:00, and some days, I am literally falling asleep as I watch him play, so we turn it on. Plus he is really into dinosaurs right now. Is anyone else wondering why Dan's mom hasn't scheduled Dan to see a psychotherapist? If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's some background. Dan is in 5th or 6th grade. He loves dinosaurs. He sees dinosaurs roaming all over modern-times Toronto. Everyone knows that he sees the dinosaurs (he is very open about it), but suspiciously, no one else ever sees them. And there is no hinting to the fact that Dan just pretends to see the dinosaurs. I am all about using your imagination and pretending, but I am a little worried that Dan has himself several imaginary friends which, in my humble opinion, he is a little too old for. And I refuse to believe that they could not find a better actor for Dan's character. Whoever was in charge of casting should never work again. Bobby loves it because of the dinosaurs.
Yo Gabba Gabba: So I do feel a little differently about this show than I did a year ago. I do see why kids like it (which they do). And sometimes I like it, too. But let's not get carried away. There are definitely psychedelic moments and DJ Lance Rock is way too skinny to wear an orange unitard and to do jump kicks while dancing! And the other thing I get hung up on is the celebrities...do I really want Andy Samburg teaching my two-year-old a dancey-dance? The same guy who sang D$%k in a Box? However, Bobby trying to copy Jack Black doing the disco roll is priceless. I do like the songs and cool tricks. And I like making fun of the weird names people who want their child to be aspiring actors decide to name their kids.
These are really the shows of note that Bobby watches. I have to add that Tim and I tried our darndest to get him to love The Backyardigans, but for whatever reason, he could not have cared less every time they were on. Tim and I love that show!
Thanks to the Texas Rangers, I haven't had a ton of blogging time and thanks to the fact that I forget to bring my camera everywhere, I don't have a ton of blogging material. But stay tuned because October is jam packed with fun things for toddlers!
1 comment:
Haha! So, I just had to share 2 funny things about Dino Dan, because Luke was rreeeeally into this show, too, about a year ago.
1) Have you noticed that there's no dad in the picture? Or, at least there wasn't when we were watching??
2) One time, Luke came across some of those bubba teeth things. He picked them up, and very matter-of-factly said, "I can wear these and look like Dino Dan". Ha! Poor Dino Dan! :(
Post a Comment