My older brothers are 18 months apart. When Doug (the middle child) was a baby, he received a stuffed Snuffleupagus, a toy that caught the eye of our oldest brother, Stephen. On a road trip to Houston, Stephen asked many times for Doug's Snuffleupagus, and my mother kept telling him "no" and finally said he cannot ask for it again. Stephen, although very young at the time could use his words very well, realized that he could not ask specifically for Mr. Snuffleupagus and had the following conversation (or something resembling) with my parents:
Mom - "Stephen, you cannot ask for Mr. Snuffleupagus again."
S - "OK. Mom? I want something brown."
Mom - "There is a teddy bear beside you."
S - "No, I want something with a long nose."
And so it went until he described Mr. Snuffleupagus to a T. Unfortunately for Stephen, I think my mom was still smart enough to figure it out!
Fast forward to this morning. Bobby was watching his first episode of Sesame Street while I did just a few things to get ready to leave the house. Side note - They had Sarah Jessica Parker on there waiting for something "Big" while Super Grover kept bringing her big items. They exited the segment with the Sex and the City music. Is that...weird to anyone else? Anyway, after that I heard Bobby scream out and start crying. I figured he realized I had left the room. But when I went in there, he was watching the TV with a terrified look on his face. Mr. Snuffleupagus was on the screen and he was scaring the crap out of Bobby! I picked him up and he kept his eye on that TV to make sure that crazy Mammoth wasn't coming to get him! It was the first time I have seen him afraid of something on TV. It was kind of weird and I realized that he's already 'growing up'. So, if you for any reason are looking for a toy for Bobby, go ahead and skip the stuffed Snuffleupagus.
2 comments:
All the more Snuffleupagus for me.
Now that is funny! Poor Bobby.
Post a Comment