Sunday, September 13, 2009

South Padre Island Vacation

I have claimed to Tim for years that I don't like the beach (although we technically went to a beach for our honeymoon, I say Nassau isn't the beach, it is heaven), and I still stand by that statement...with a few small changes. But more on that later**. Tim loves the beach. I could tell the moment we heard the waves crashing that he was in a happy place. So when I found out that we could go to South Padre Island on a free flight and stay for next to nothing in a brand new condo, I said, "Let's do it!"

We stayed at the Sapphire Condos, on the south side of the island. We arrived late Wednesday, got settled into the condo and rested up for the next day of beach, pool and sun! Unfortunately, the area had a "system" hanging over it for a few days and we woke up to clouds and sprinkles. But we were still excited!

Our view on Thursday morning


That didn't keep us from visiting the beach! Tim was ready to go!

Even though the ocean looked like this!

Here's a view of the condo towers from the beach! We stayed on the 5th floor...at least for the first three nights!

We worked up an appetite (Tim in the ocean, me on the beach reading) so we headed in for some lunch. Of course the sun came right out as we enjoyed our fried fish and shrimp quesadillas at Parrot Eyes, so we scrambled to get back so we could enjoy it on the beach (or in my case, the pool)!
So I caught just a few rays by the pool...

...before the rain came. At that point, we hopped up to the condo and enjoyed a relaxing afternoon! That evening we ate out at a bay shack bar that would have been a lot more enjoyable had it been dry and sunny.

Friday morning was still cloudy, but our time was short on the island, so we ventured out to the beach again. Thank goodness by the time we were done with lunch at Jakes, the rain had moved through and we saw SUNSHINE!


That night, we visited Sea Ranch, which I think turned out to be our favorite restaurant of the weekend! It was one of the 'fancier' places, although Tim wore a hat and didn't feel too out of place. We both ate A LOT of food that night, but it was all yummy!

Saturday, we woke up to more sunshine! We decided to drive north away from the condo-packed beach for more shells and less people. Since it was the weekend, the people still packed the beach, but there were a lot of shells! Have I mentioned how much Tim absolutely loves the beach? And one of his favorite things to do at the beach is fish!

I spent a lot of time shell searching...

I promise I did get in the water a few times for a few minutes. **You see, I have a strong aversion to salt water. I don't want it in my hair and I don't want it close to my face. If it is mere inches away from my eyes, they will start stinging and watering. And the taste! UGH! I used to say I hated the sand. It is so sticky, it gets EVERYWHERE and you can't get rid of it. But I am not sure if it is just certain types of sand or I just played in the sand differently when I was a kid, but I didn't mind the sand too much this trip. By Sunday, Tim asked if I thought I could spend a week at the beach (he's been trying to get me to spend a week at Gulf Shores, AL since we've been married) and I said only if there is a pool I can hang out at! He thinks it is blasphemous that I spend time at the pool when the beach is 25 yards away. He just doesn't have as many OCD qualities as I do.

More pretty sunshine pictures!

Sunday morning sunrise!

So for our crazy story of the trip (we always have one) - when we got back from lunch on Saturday, there was a note on the door that said, "Please come by the front desk". We both thought this was kind of strange, and all sorts of things ran through my head...we weren't too loud, did they think we were too messy? Did Mr Galyen, the condo owner, not know we were here and come in for a weekend stay? Tim went downstairs to check it out as I got ready for our afternoon beach/pool time. Well, he walked back in through the door with one of those luggage carts and I freaked out! They were going to make us go home early? NO! They had placed us in the wrong condo! We had been staying in a Mr. and Mrs. Wagner's condo - the wrong one - for 3 nights! When we checked in, the guy just heard "Wagner" and put us in the wrong condo! Mrs. Wagner expected some renters around 11 AM on Saturday, came in to check on everything and saw all of our stuff strewn across the condo and FREAKED out! I would, too! Thank goodness we weren't in there getting ready or showering or who knows what else!! So the front desk realized their mistake and shuffled us to Mr. Galyen's condo on another floor in the other tower! We could not stop laughing the entire time!!

When we left the beach Saturday afternoon, I noticed a guy setting up white chairs on the beach. I told Tim surely he was NOT setting up for a wedding. Who would get married on a public beach? Did they not think about the overweight middle-aged balding man in his swim trunks in the background of the pictures? How about the WT chick in a swimsuit that is way too small for her puffing on a cig? I guess they just loved the beach!

Notice the "on-lookers" in towels? So strange! (Click to enlarge).

On Saturday evening, we had dinner at Amberjack's on their patio, watching the sunset and trying not to melt. Not our favorite restaurant, but I enjoyed the company!


Our only couple picture - and it has a reflective blob in it! Oh well!

Tim promised me ice cream for dessert! Gelato!!

We had to leave on Sunday, but with a few minutes to spare before our plane left, we checked out the old historic lighthouse in Port Isabel.


Bobby's first travel picture!

We had a great time and are so thankful to be able to get away as a family of two before our little bundle of joy and craziness comes along! I can't wait to go back with Bobby. I am pretty sure he'll love it!

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

Fun trip!! And that pool looks awesome. I don't judge you for choosing pool over beach.

Jennifer said...

I also will never judge for choosing a pool over the beach. Beaches are made for looking at while enjoying a tasty beverage at the pool! :)

Sydney said...

Oh my, that post was hilarious! Love the room story and the part where you describe how much you hate the beach. Just wait until you are cleaning sand out of Bobby's folds...

Lydia said...

At one point I was in the ocean and the waves got a little too big and when they crashed, some (and I emphasized some) salt water got on my pony tail and neck. I tried to stay composed on the outside, but on the inside, I was pretty pissed!! :)