After a hot day at the splash park, we had to stop and get some snow cones! I have been craving some snow cones and I got two this weekend. I am one happy sugar-filled girl. Here is Ollie waiting for his humongous cup of vanilla & chocolate swirl ice cream. I am now craving soft serve ice cream.
Friday evening, we trekked to downtown Arlington for the big family fun festival and fireworks show, leaving me to wonder why our founding fathers had to sign that Declaration of Independence in the middle of July. Tim told me it was because Jesus was born in the dead of winter. We staked out a small piece of grass and waited paitently for some fireworks! I have waited several years for a good professional fireworks show and I was so excited to finally get one!
Miss Pig-tails!
The experience reminded me of my childhood when every year we would go out to Vandergriff park and listen to the band play over the loud speakers (was it a real band, or just a recording?) and watch the huge fireworks that would scare the crap out of me. They were so loud and so big, they made me feel so small. I was so ready to have that feeling again. Instead we got this:
In case you can't tell what that is, it is a few roman candles and some black cats. The booms were about as loud as a car back-firing. It was the lamest, most disappointing professional show I have ever been to. I got a better show from Tim's brother and his neighbors last year than I got from the city of Arlington. Way to remind all of us on our nation's birthday that this economy is in the toilet. And that is all I am going to say about that.
On the actual 4th of July, the kids helped me make a very yummy tres leches flag cake. It was so good, it will for sure be an annual tradition!
The evening also turned into a surprise birthday party for Sophie, who turns 5 in August. I can't believe she'll already be five this year!
3 comments:
Whew! I'm glad to know we didn't miss much on the A-town fireworks! We skipped them and went to the Grand Prairie ones on Saturday night and I must say they were very good. :)
Love seeing the pics of your cute nieces and nephew!
Sorry your fireworks show was a bummer. I so want your cake recipe! And your cute nieces and nephews are going to LOVE your little addition LOTS!
How did I miss this post? CUTE pics!
Post a Comment