Saturday, August 16, 2008

The XXIX Olympiad

Nothing else dominates my TV like the Summer Olympics can. Well, maybe if ABC did a LOST marathon, I would probably be a vegetable in my living room for its duration, but as it stands now, the Olympics hold firm.

The Beijing Olympics has yet to disappoint me. The super power that is Michael Phelps. Our girls gymnastics team. Nastia and Shawn going 1 and 2. Our "Redeem" Team. All of these things basically make me want to cry like a baby at just the thought of them. All of these thigns also make me want to yell at the top of my lungs, "USA! USA! USA!" until the French can hear me. Yeah, I'm talking to you, Bernard Gerard Depardieu. Like my friend at work said, there is just something about watching us beat other countries. It makes me feel all good inside!

Here are some things that I don't think I'll ever forget about these Olympics...see if you agree with me.
1. During the opening ceremonies, finding out that people were underneath those small blocks making them move like artwork. I still don't believe it.
2. Feeling so sorry for the torchbearer - do you think they told him what he would actually be doing before he signed up for the gig?
3. Watching Dirk carry Germany's flag and seeing his goofy grin.
4. Our men's swim team kicking France's ass. Tim and I were on the phone (he was in Tulsa) screaming at the top of our lungs.
5. Wanting to personally tell Alicia to get it in gear!
6. That awkward moment with GW and Misty May. What was that?
7. Michael Phelps killing everything that crosses his path. By the way, he beat that Serbian by 0.01 seconds - about the length of a pencil erasure plus the short silver part that holds it on. I wonder if God just thought it would be neat to see him win 8 gold medals.
8. Continual fist pumping every time Nastia and Shawn did anything. Those two going gold and silver sent me right back to when I watched Mary Lou and all I wanted to do was be an Olympic gymnast. I still want to be an Olympic gymnast. :)

And we are only half-way done. Will Michael make it 8? Will our basketball team redeem themselves? Will Walsh & May go undefeated? Will are track stars shine? You know I'll be watching tonight, cheering and crying!

3 comments:

Tuesday Waynemeir said...

You failed to mention a swimmer who has become a favorite in our house. It's not Phelps, or Torres or even an American. Sophie has been a devoted fan of the Aussie Stephanie Rice since her first race....not for her speed, or form, or her ability to "get off the block"....but for something far more important....her little green earrings.

(She is soooo your niece!)

The Brewer's said...

We heart the Olympics too! I'm posting a pic of Hudson showing his USA spirit!!

elizabeth said...

I'm obsessed as well! But I can't stay awake for it all. No TIVO and watching it on the east coast means I see about half of the competitions. :) I'm glad I can read your blog and be updated!