Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A New Boy

From the day we brought Bobby home from the hospital, he has been a snorer. But we didn't know it was a medical issue until he was about 15 months when I realized he wasn't breathing rythmically in his sleep. In other words, he was suffering from sleep apnea. But the X-Ray at that point showed he had enough room for air to pass through. So, after several years of waiting to see if he'd grow out of it, we realized the problem was getting worse. He sounded like he had a chronic stuffy nose and his sleep apnea became even worse. Oh - and when looking down his throat, you could see one of his tonsils touching his uvula. I knew that couldn't be good. So after two ENTs told us within 15 seconds of looking at him that he needed his adenoids & tonsils removed, we scheduled the surgery. We've been told this can be life changing because of the difference it will make his quality of sleep. I can't imagine how limited his air intake was, but I am so thankful we are taking this step for him. 

On our way to the hospital that morning, this truck made us laugh. 
 Relaxing, waiting for all the shenanigans to take place. He has no idea what he's in for, poor kid. 
 Oh, the "Happy Juice" is kicking in!
After 45 minutes, the surgery was over and they called us back to recovery. He was absolutely sobbing uncontrollably. I held him in a chair and tried to soothe him. It was one of the hardest moments of the entire ordeal. I could tell he was so angry at the doctors for doing this to him, and angry at Tim and me for betraying him. I almost broke down, but held it together in front of the nursing staff. 

Because of his age and his sleep apnea history, the doctor recommended that he stayed overnight in the hospital. So almost immediately after recovery, we were taken to our own room. It did not take him long to realize there was an upside to the torture he was put through: popsicles. 
 I spent the night with him in his room and we stayed up late watching movies.
 I am going to skip over all of the complaints about that night being terrible, with absolutely no sleep, not to mention the fact that I had a fever from a virus I caught from Bobby. At least I hadn't had parts of me removed. 

Another upside to this whole surgery thing, toys. This is a part of the new Samurai Ranger set he got from his Uncle Doug, Aunt Sarah & cousins. His brand new wooden train set can be seen in the on the floor. Not pictured: Two Power Rangers action figures (from Honey).  
 By Saturday (the day after coming home from the hospital), he was ready to go somewhere. So we took a short trip to Cabela's and had Rosa's for lunch. He hadn't eaten anything proper in two days, so he scarfed down his rice, beans & enchilada. 
 The road has been incredibly rocky. Our doctor said it could take up to two weeks for the threat of bleeding to pass. We have to watch what he eats, avoid a lot of contact from other people, keep the activity level low and stay on top of his pain. But God is helping us along in small ways. I just happened to come across an anecdote in a book I am reading about a child refusing to take his medicine. In the book, the mother allowed the child to give himself the medicine. Hoping to avoid the crying and pursed lips right before nap (since it so happened he was having to take a 'yucky' medicine), I asked Bobby if he would want to give himself the medicine. His tone of voice immediately changed to delighted and he took all of the Tylenol without whining or crying. Sigh of relief. 

But I definitely have to brag on my boy for a second. We've been working on writing his name just casually whenever we have the opportunity. Just this morning, we practiced together and then he did this on his own. I just went over the letters with more chalk to make them thicker so it would show up in the picture. 

No comments: