Over the last few weeks, I have found myself waiting, waiting, waiting. Waiting for the outside temperature to go down. Waiting for our kitchen to get done. Waiting for Bobby's school to start. But then I realize it is August although it felt like we just moved into our house yesterday.
So I go through my camera, and although there are not many pictures, there are a few to document how we have coped with this Texas heat. Can you believe we went through this for over 70-something days last year? I am so thankful it hasn't been like that this year.
You may have noticed Bobby's sweet shaggy hair in the previous posts. Well, Tim prefers it to look a little more managed, so we got a haircut. Probably a good idea in this weather.
Sometimes I feel guilty for not incorporating more 'sensory play' into our day. But I can encourage it and push it, but he is not into it. He never has. He doesn't color. He doesn't sort things. And he hates a mess. So I was very excited when he wanted to play with playdough. Sometimes he uses it to make dinosaur tracks like we see at the museum. But recently, he just wants to create characters and play with them as if they were alive. The same way he plays with all of his other toys. He loves imaginative play. And I think it is great.
Here he is with his "Kaa". We've read the Jungle Book about 50 times since we borrowed it from the library.
He has a hard time remembering that this Kaa won't survive a good 'playing-with'.
These past few weeks, we just drag the Mavs table into the living room and watch the Olympics (where he has learned he wants to be an Olympic swimmer and run Steeplechase).
Today it rained. Gorgeous, soothing rain!
His imaginative play has slowly expanded to include dress up and acting out. However, this didn't last long today since he still has a hard time walking with his holster on!
So starting now, I will enjoy each day with my son. Or at least I will try. In three years he will be off to Kindergarten where he will spend as much time without me, as he does with me. That is hardly imaginable right now. And starting now, I will actually remember to bring my camera to the fun places we go (like the museum and our special lunches out). I know, I know. If only I had an iPhone.
1 comment:
Love that Bobby!! And I'm so glad to know I'm not the only mother grooming her children to be in the Olympics one day! Ha! (I totally taught Ellie how to stick a gymnastics pose!)
Enjoy your last few weeks of summer!!
Post a Comment