After I got Bobby's room complete, I hit a wall. I was so proud of the way it turned out but I couldn't put the same effort into our bedroom. I was at a loss. It was completely boring and had bad feng shui. Honestly, I know nothing about feng shui, but I am assuming. Tim had a high cabinet for a side table and I had a two-foot tall sofa table (read: asymmetrical)! Ick! The walls were bare. It was a creamy monochromatic blah. Did you know that blah is now a noun?
So, first, I collected all of the framed photos and pieces of art that didn't have a spot anywhere else, and I hung them on one wall. I just threw them up there without even consulting the Pinterest pin that tells you how to make a photo collage. I was that desperate. It not only took care of one bare wall, it did add some color to the creamy room.
And it actually is not done. I hope to find a large sea scape to replace the poster on the end. And I also have two other completely bare walls, but I am slowly taking care of that, too. (In other words, more to come)!
Side note: Some of you may ask, "Why not just paint your room a nice color? That would take care of the blah-ness." Good question. Well, you see, when one has a history of painting every single room in a home and then buys another home that is freshly painted, even if it is a color one would never choose, one's husband will refuse to repaint it. And one is possibly too lazy to paint it oneself.
Second, we found this great bench in a downtown McKinney shop. Only $40! It wasn't until I mentioned that we have to make the bed every day to show off the bench that Tim mentioned why he wanted a bench in the first place (to keep the comforter on). I told him it wasn't as if he is the one making the beds every day.
Last, we found a four-drawer chest that is the same height as Tim's cabinet. Yay for symmetry! The handles are art deco and the drawer fronts remind me of tortoise shell glasses. The more I look at it, the more I love it. And to think I just carelessly asked Tim what he thought of it while strolling around the antique mall on a Sunday.
We also replaced our $9 paper-shade Ikea lamps with similar chrome desk lamps...the first Ikea purchase for this house. Many more to come, including this baby!
Look familiar? Only a few more weeks!
I still need to find ways to bring color into the room, and I can only do so many pillows. Does anyone else have a husband that rolls their eyes at decorative pillows? And if you also have an idea of how to cover a half-window with a bed under it, please share. The blinds alone aren't cutting it when it is 6:30 am and the sun is threatening to wake me up!

No comments:
Post a Comment