Friday, August 06, 2010

The Post Where Lydia Rates Bobby's TV Shows

I have several friends that are pregnant with the first kids. I know how scary the transition can be from fun-loving DINK life (double income, no kids) to a world of nursing pads, Desitin and exer-saucers. Before Bobby arrived, I was hyper-critical of children's programming and was pretty sure I would not allow him to watch TV for at least the first two years of his life. What was I smoking?

So, for anyone who has yet to venture into the world of Sesame Street, Dora and Yo Gabba Gabba, here is a short handy guide so you can feel more comfortable in the world of children's 'educational' programming. Note - this is obviously my own personal opinion, and I hope anyone that disagrees with me will comment and tell me how ridiculous I am and that Blue's Clues IS the ultimate in entertainment! Also, your pediatrician and every other scientific resource will tell you that putting your child in front of the TV is the worst thing you can do for his development. But I believe that giving mommy 30 minutes of peaceful sanity is the best thing you can do for his development.

Baby Einstein
The few times I watched my sweet nephew, our favorite thing to do would be to turn on Baby Einstein. I am pretty sure it was the only thing I could understand him saying for a good year (except maybe cheese). It boggled my mind how this completely elementary production captivated him for the entire show. I borrowed several DVD's from the Zedler Library for Bobby and it has been a life saver. It is the only show he will watch for 30 minutes without freaking out because I am not in the room with him. We only have the symphony of fun (or something) series, so of course the music is tolerable. However, Tim says it makes him seasick when he watches it, so be mindful of sick dads!
Baby Captivation - * * * * (That is four stars)
Adult Music Toleration - * * * *
Adult Watchability - * *
Overall Value - * * * * (In other words, I highly recommend the DVDs)

Dora The Explorer
Dora was the first children's TV show we turned on for Bobby to see if it would catch his interest. I think the shows resonate with me a lot more than they do Bobby. For example, if Bobby and I are going through a tough situation (i.e. getting his clothes over his large noggin) and we get through it with great success, I sing the song, "We did it! We did it! We did it! Horray! We wanted to get the onesie over your head and we did it! We did it! We did it! Hooray!". I also use the memorization tool of repeating three things over and over. That is how Dora and her sidekick Boots figure out how to get home; they repeat the three landmarks they need to get through over and over like "Chocolate Mountain, Crocodile Forest, Dora's House!" Bobby learned the contents of the shelf in his room this way. "Piggy Bank, Baseball, Boots!"
Baby Captivation - * * *
Adult Music Toleration - * * * (you get used to it)
Adult Watchability - * * * (Tim and I love to twist the meaning and words of the show and turn it into a PG-13 version)
Overall Value - * * * (it is better than some)

Yo Gabba Gabba
The whole concept of this show confuses me. I think Ru Paul has four toys that magically come to life when he says "Yo Gabba Gabba". Don't ask me what Yo Gabba Gabba means because I have no clue. The only high point of this show is maybe the music. If you were really into raves and all-night techno clubs in  your pre-baby life, then maybe you would like the music.
Baby Captivation - * *
Adult Music Toleration - * (I wasn't into all-night techno clubs)
Adult Watchability - *
Overall Value - * (will tune in if nothing else is on)
The other disturbing thing about shows like this and Blue's Clues, is it makes me wonder what the adult host is like in person. I imagine they have to live a life of drugs, sex and rock and roll just to tolerate going into a studio and dressing up like an orange furry thing or sining about poo'ing in the potty.

Oswald
An sweet octopus helps out his friends in 20 minutes or less. The cuteness factor is through the roof.
Baby Captivation - * * *
Adult Music Toleration - NA
Adult Watchability - * * * *
Overall Value - * * * *

Honorable Mentions
Clifford the Big Red Dog
Sesame Street
The Backyardigans - just started to watch this one. CGI animals sing fun songs that don't drive you crazy.

Dishonorable Mentions
Pinky Dinky Doo - the theme song will get stuck in your head all day slowly driving you insane.
Little Bear - although I think it looks like a sweet story book cartoon, Bobby could care less.
Toot and Puddle - Really? What kind of names are those? It's like the creators came up with something just to see if they could get away with it...and they did!

Please comment! I want to hear what your favorite or most hated children's show is!

7 comments:

Meggan and Trent said...

I swore I would never let Hudson watch Dora because of her screaming, but she grows on you. Hudson (and I) really likes Olivia. And I still want to know where Max and Ruby's parents are...

The Brewer's said...

I am so cracking up at this post! I wanted to let you learn this lesson on your own Lyd...TV is wonderful!! Yay for coming to the dark side!! Here are Hudson's faves:

*Dora, Sesame Street, Wonder Pets, Max & Ruby, Yo Gabba Gabba and Barney (I used to be a hater)

And it's for sure that the creators of YGG are smokin' something fierce!

RobinBrant said...

I completely disagree about Yo Gabba Gabba. Mike and I can both tolerate it, and it's the only thing Miller will watch for more than a few minutes. The music and kids dancing are both really fun. Just this season they had Weezer and MGMT. I think if you give it more of a chance, it will really grow on you. Try to find the one called "new friends" with Jack Black.

Doug Zedler said...

Sesame Street stinks. Elmo and that fairy have ruined it. Word Girl is pretty good. The Electric Company may be the best kid show on PBS. The music is great. Check out these dope rhymes.

http://tinyurl.com/br4g8g

Cheryl said...

Where is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Handy Manny? Carly LOVES MMCH and Yo Gabba Gabba. Personally, I think Yo Gabba Gabba is a little creepy, but I like thier messages.

Lydia said...

I haven't caught MMCH, yet. But I love Manny. His voice is so soothing! Unfortunately, Bobby wasn't into it. So we've only watched it once.

Jill said...

The only one I truly hate is Special Agent Oso. He's an idiot and I can't stand it.

And we watch a video of Blue's Clues in the car because Steve/Joe's voice does not drive me bananas.