Elizabeth was our tour guide for The Freedom Trial.
She was fabulous, although I am a little disappointed that she didn’t wear her Colonial-era costume like some of the tour guides did. And she didn’t get a tip because of it.
Our tour started in Boston Common, another main park in the middle of the city. They created Boston Commons long ago for cattle owners who lived in Boston . It was the “common” area for the cattle to roam, since no one owned large pieces of land inside town. Right across the street is the State House. We thought it was funny that they covered this beautiful old building with a huge Celtics Banner. Ugh.

A side note regarding the Boston Celtics and fans in Boston . I would have had no idea that anyone in Boston cared that the Celtics were really good, except for maybe the fact that there were banners hanging around town. But I did not see one person wearing Celtics merchandise. On the other hand, every other person I saw was wearing a Red Sox hat, t-shirt, sweatshirt or jacket. Some people would wear a Red Sox hat and a Patriots jacket. They love their baseball in Boston . And since the Patriots have won several Super Bowls, they are okay, too.
The infamous Hooker Memorial. What a stud.

The next stop was the Granary Burying grounds, the third oldest cemetery in Boston . Benjamin Franklin’s family is buried there along with Paul Revere. The first picture is Revere ’s actual tombstone and the second is a memorial that was placed their sometime later.


We walked through the streets and stopped to look at famous churches and meeting halls. This picture was taken in front of a meeting hall where they planned the Boston Tea Party. The British found out about it and took it over, turning it into a barn. It is said that it still smells like animals in there. We didn’t go in to find out.

Our tour also took us to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. Mr. Faneuil built this market for the city and it was home to merchants, fisherman, butchers and the like to sell their products. It was also a town meeting space. It was where colonists met to protest the Sugar Act in 1764.
I didn’t take this picture.

By this time, we were hungry. Elizabeth took us through the Financial District, over the Big Dig, across the channel to The Barking Crab. I had the Clam Chowder and although I don’t have anything to compare it to (it was the first time I have ever tried it), I know it has to be the best. Yummy!
We gradually made our way up through the North End neighborhood, or Boston ’s Little Italy. There is an Italian restaurant on every corner. Literally. The water was just on the other side of the neighborhood. We found a great sports complex and park for Elizabeth to visit when it gets warmer.


The North End church where Paul Revere hung the famous lanterns...one if by land and two if by sea.

On our way to Beacon Hill, we stopped at Harvard Gardens for a drink. I had to get used to drinking something other than Shiner Bock. Sam Adams, please?
We made it back to Elizabeth ’s apartment to take naps and get ready for dinner. Walking around an entire city can really make you tired!
We ate dinner at Cafe Jaffa and met Erin after to go to the Liberty Hotel. This is the new posh hangout in Boston . There was a line to get in! Thank goodness we were hanging out with Erin, who is not afraid to just walk right in. Since we had a party of 4, we did get stopped, but the bouncer took pity on us and motioned to us to take the “side entrance”. We are so not cool.

Saturday was a great day, leaving Sunday some big shoes to fill. But I'm pretty sure we toppled it. Of course, since I don't have enough patience to write about the entire weekend in one post, you will have to wait for Segment Three of our wonderful trip!
2 comments:
Are you sure we 'toppled' it on Sunday or did we 'top' it? I do remember that old man toppling over in People's Republic...
Oh, we toppled it baby! Head over heals!!!
Post a Comment