Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Chick Flicks

I was just about to boast that I am not a big fan of romantic comedies (RC's), but then I started thinking about some RC's that I will watch again and again: Fools Rush In, 13 Going on 30, The Wedding Planner, Love Actually, Both Bridget Jones' movies (or anything with Hugh Grant EXCEPT the one with Julia Roberts which I HATE, but I know about 95% of my friends LOVE and I still can't understand why since Julia Roberts was a complete female dog to him the ENTIRE movie, and yet, we still want to cheer for them to get together? Uh, NO!).

Anyway, I figured that I was still a fan of the chick flick, but what have I gotten from Hollywood lately? I feel kind of like romantic comedies have been sucking the last few years, quite frankly. The last two movies I saw in the theater was Fool's Gold (don't ask) and Sex and the City. I know everyone loved that one, too and my only issue with it is the same with Notting Hill - we really want them together? After he treated her that way the entire series and movie? Maybe I'm too much of a realist or something.

Well, this week we got P.S. I Love You from Netflix, and I think it restored my faith in romantic comedies again. It had good characters (Harry Connick Jr.'s was my favorite) and a different plot than a typical RC. Overall, I laughed, I cried, I felt good at the end all adding up to a good chick flick. I could tell Tim liked it, too - he laughed out loud several times and said, "It was okay" at the end, which meant it wasn't bad at all! So, in the comments section, share your favorite chick flick, or let me know if I missed a new one that is good!

P.S. if your favorite chick flick is Notting Hill, I promise not to hold that against you.

4 comments:

Meggan and Trent said...

What about Made of Honor? Can't beat Patrick Dempsey...

Cheryl said...

This is fun!
Ones you haven't mentioned: Two Weeks noticed (well, I guess you kinda did because it has Hugh Grant), Wimbledon, Sweet Home Alabama - and a major flashback...The Thing Called Loved. Okay, maybe that one wasn't so good when I watched a few months ago for the first time in probably 10 or 12 years, but I used to like it. It has Sandra Bullock, River Phoenix, Dermot Mulroney and Samantha Mathis.

And I can't wait to see that new one with Reese Withersppon and Vince Vaughn.

Lydia said...

Oh - good ones! Yes, I watched 2 Weeks Notice again about a month ago and loved it! Made me laugh all over again. I forgot about Made of Honor - that girl is so cute - will have to watch without Tim. I am pretty sure he would veto no matter what.

Shelby said...

Saw PS in the theatre, bought it the day it came out on DVD, watched it when I got home, then made Matt watch it, then made my mom watch it, watched it again.

It was okay.

Try The Holiday. LOVED IT.