Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Time We Drove To Florida

Or could also be titled: Oh my! What was I thinking?

Just kidding!

My sweet brother and his family live in central Florida and make the trip to see us in DFW every summer. Bobby and I ventured via plane to see their home when he was 9 months old, but we have not been back since. I asked my mom if Bobby and I could crash her trip and drive with her while she visited them during Spring Break. 
She said, "Sure!" and everyone was excited!

You know how hard it is to explain to a kid that although we are leaving for Florida today, we won't be there until tomorrow? This was by far the longest car trip little one had been on and he was a trooper. We spent approximately 15 hours in the car each way. His limit was 14 hours and 40 mins. On the way there and on the way back, he just broke down crying the last 20 minutes. Poor thing! He did so well, even on such little sleep. 

He had never stayed in a hotel before, so he had quite a time jumping on the beds!
By the time we finally arrived to their house in the afternoon, he was ecstatic! The first thing he did, was play and play and play outside with cousins!
 
Sophie did not mind posing for me the second I took out my camera!
Bobby and I also got to meet sweet little guy! He had been with them for a little over a month when we visited!
Look at these super guys!
Sisters are showing off their Easter gifts from their Grandmother!
This is pretty much how he acted the entire time at the house, when he wasn't throwing a fit out of pure exhaustion. He LOVED playing with cousin Ollie. Inside, outside, torturing the dog, studying legos, it did not matter. 
On our second full day, we visited a farm close to their house with lots of animals and fun activities. Have I mentioned how cold it was while we visited? Oh my! It was late March in Florida and we were looking forward to a day at the beach. But the weather had other plans!

The gang on a hay ride

There were lots of animals to pet and feed and see. Unfortunately, I did not get any good pictures of that. But I promised any of the kids a pony ride, and the girls picked me up on that offer. 

Annabelle
Sophie
The boys just ran and ran and played and ran
And little guy was happy (after his feeding)!
These two were inseparable. Ollie (6) could not have been a better older cousin to Bobby. He played with him and was patient with him!
On our lazy day, we had some good good food at a local restaurant. And Bobby discovered Mac 'n' Cheese with ketchup.
On our last full day, we visited Dinosaur World in Tampa.
I was sure Bobby would be over the moon. And he was once we got there, but that morning he did not want to leave the house. He wanted to stay and play! 
Have I mentioned how much he LOVED playing with Ollie at the house?

PARASAUROLOPHUS baby hatching!
Bobby's favorite: DEINONYCHUS



Checking out the IGUANADONS

EEEEKKK! TYRANNOSAURUS





Bobby really enjoyed the Fossil Dig. He found two fossilized clams and one shark tooth. 
By the bone yard, he was pretty much zonked and primed for a huge meltdown (the second of the trip). 
He really enjoyed the park, but like most kids, the only thing he could talk about later was the one part he did not like. But that's a kid thing, isn't it? 

On our way back to Texas, we stayed in Gulfport, Mississippi. Our hotel was just minutes from their beach, so we stopped for 15 minutes so Bobby could have his first beach experience. 
 
It was too cold to actually stay and have fun on the beach. And honestly, Gulfport does not have a very scenic beach. So we got some seafood for dinner and went to bed. 
Wow! What a trip! We are so glad Honey let us tag along and so thankful for our cousins for putting us up for a week. We loved visiting them and can't wait to do it again...we just wish we could teleport ourselves there!

1 comment:

MJ said...

Lydia!
Redisovering your blog...Next time you guys drive to Florida, stop and hang with me in New Orleans! I love this post, makes me think of our cousin visits as kids. I remember legos on your brother's bedroom floor and dollhouses.
Love ya!
Mo