Our first Thanksgiving as a married couple.
This year, my parents hosted Thanksgiving for us Zedler children and our families. Our weekend could be wrapped up in a few words – awesome food, good football, wonderful family time, and lots and lots of noise.
First with the food – my family is very traditional when it comes to our Thanksgiving palates. Once, my brother got very angry when I asked for mashed potatoes because “mashed potatoes are not a part of the Zedler Family Thanksgiving menu.” Needless to say, they are now, but I digress. So when Tim and I tried to think of something to bring to dinner we, of course, automatically thought of venison sausage – what usually pops into Tim’s mind when he tries to think of anything. So he searched the web for stuffing recipes that uses venison sausage and found a recipe that called for apples, stuffing cubes, sage, parsley – some good stuff. My mom was sure to make her original cornbread dressing recipe just so we didn’t ruffle anyone’s feathers. At dinner, the table was jam packed with all sorts of goodness – turkey, gravy, cornbread dressing, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, wine, mashed potatoes, beer biscuits and venison sausage stuffing. We could all smell the smokiness from the sausage to which Doug exclaimed, “Is that venison sausage?!” and then Sarah quickly removed her portion from her plate! But everyone who enjoys the venison absolutely loved it. It was great!
My love for my five nieces and nephews is undeniable. But when we have family gatherings, I think it safely harbors any miniscule thoughts either Tim or I have about having children (at least for now). The only reason I say that is for the simple fact that I just don’t think there would be any more room. The floor is already teaming with children – add any more and someone is sure to get stepped on. The room is already filled to the brim with the sound waves of yelling, screaming, laughing, crying, whining, barking (thanks to Harvey) – our ear drums could not handle any more. But I would not replace any of them for the world. They are the most precious, sweetest kids I know when they are in a good mood, and sometimes when they are not. And they are funny and honest. Henry most often gets in trouble for grabbing toys away from all the other kids, usually to see their reaction. The adults were discussing this issue and Henry chimed in, “I yike to take.” Very honest.
Sophie is very intelligent and great at using words for a 3 year old. She was throwing a monumental temper tantrum before going to bed one night and threw herself on the doormat in front of the front door and proclaimed, “Take me out of this house, out of this neighborhood and straight to my house in Tulsa! I want to sleep in my bed in Tulsa!”
Annabelle is such a comedian, even if she doesn’t mean to be. I was pretending to be her sick daughter and I complained that the prince (Tim) was being mean to me and punching me in the stomach (don’t worry, he wasn’t). Annabelle put on her stern face, shook her finger at Tim and said, “Don’t you do that, Prince! My daughter is a very bad idea!” I’m pretty sure she left out a few words. But Tim thought it was hilarious.
I cannot mention Thanksgiving without paying homage to our Boys. The Cowboys are a Thanksgiving tradition in our house. Our dinner time is planned around kick-off. We don’t want to miss a second. What a game! Tim and I love it when the Cowboys blow out their opponent…no worrying involved.
After all of the hubbub in Arlington, Tim and I had a great time relaxing at home with our new treasure, Netflix. We started a week or so ago and have already watched Spiderman 3, Transformers and the first season of Entourage – Tim’s new favorite show. I know we’re 3 or 4 years behind on it, but I’m glad we have a chance to catch up.
Sunday was a great day – it was rainy and cold, so Tim and I got the Christmas decorations out of the storage shed early. Tim ran off to the gun show and I watched ‘Love Actually’ as I decorated the house and the tree! I love Christmas time!
We both have a huge list of things we are thankful for. God has been so gracious and generous to us, we could not feel more blessed. I am mostly thankful for my family’s good health, for the warmth of our first home together and for the Love that Tim shows me every day. There is nothing like it!
1 comment:
Where are the pictures? I need pictures to follow along with stories. Especially a picture of the venison stuffing. :)
Post a Comment