Monday, August 27, 2007

Eureka!

This weekend we visited Tim's parents in Springdale, AR. Thanks to AA, we flew in to NWA airport in just under 1 hour. We did arrive late, however, thanks to the drunk at the front of the plane. Unfortunately, Tim and I missed the action (it was actually handled quite well by the attendants). But we arrived around 9:00 PM and our chance to have some good Mexican food in Springdale was foiled thanks to the fact that the town shuts down by 9:45 (or earlier).

Saturday morning we made plans to visite Eureka Springs, a small hillside town in NW Arkansas (http://www.eurekasprings.com/). It is a great place to visit. Overall, hippies and 'earthy' people colonize Eureka Springs giving it a definite character. The town rests on the side of a small mountain. Downtown has small, slender streets with shops, restaurants and art galleries lining the way all built on the side of the mountain. The town is filled with beautiful Victorian homes, lovely bed and breakfasts and small cabin villages.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
That weekend the town hosted the blues festival and the VolksWagen convention. We (accidentally) had front row seats to the VW parade driving through the streets of downtown!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Right outside of the town, Thorncrown Chapel resides in the woods. Its a beautiful architecture masterpiece. A chapel by the same builder sits in Ft. Worth right next to Central Market. It is attached to the Lena Pope home.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
On Sunday, we visited Cory, Jordan and "little" Lydia in their new home in Springdale. The place still has some work to be done, but once they are finished, it will be a very lovely home!

On our way out of town, we stopped by the house Tim grew up in. The Wagners owned 40 acres with a creek and a spring-fed pond running through the front of their property. The old house was still standing (originally built a long, long time ago), but it is just being used for storage, now. The new owner built a brand new beautiful home just up the hill from it. A few stories were shared about the old bridge across the creek and everyone marveled at the progress that was going on around them. Huge mansions are springing up not more than 300 yards away. I can't believe I forgot to take pictures. Hopefully it won't be torn down by the next time we visit.

Thanks, Nana and Papa for letting us stay with you! We had a great time!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute town!!!

elizabeth said...

I didn't even know you had a blog! I have mine set up, but couldn't download pics to start it (I think I packed my cord). I'm stealing pics from you if that's ok. :)